Sunday, August 28, 2016

Mushroom hunting

Today was a good day for a walk in our woods. The weather was warm but I didn't think it too hot to venture out of doors. I did discover, after some time in the woods, that it was a bit warmer than I thought it was but by then I was having to much fun to be concerned about the heat. What's a little heat when I have all this wonderful creation to look at and enjoy?

While walking in the woods I found this amazing mushroom. I'd never seen a mushroom like it before. It was just too neat not to get a closer look. 

Mushrooms are poisonous so I was careful not to touch my face after touching it.

Robin was off exploring the woods so I called her back so she could see this neat mushroom too. Who knows if we will ever see another one like it. She was just as enchanted with it as I was and had to get a closer look too. We both reminded each other that mushrooms are poisonous and that we should not eat them or touch our faces after handling them. Really, we probably shouldn't be touching them, we did tell the big people to never touch them, we wouldn't want to lose one of our big people, but there was just too much temptation in that mushroom for little dolls to resist touching.

After seeing such a neat mushroom I wanted to hunt for more mushrooms, to see what other kinds I could find but Robin wanted to explore the woods. We agreed to do a little of both, I would hunt for mushrooms while we explored the woods.

Look at this dainty little lacy mushroom. So bright and white and pretty. I wouldn't mind having this in our house, it would sure make the place prettier.

This one looked like a table or a pancake, I couldn't decide which.

And this one...isn't it neat? I almost missed seeing it because it blended into the woods so well. And it's almost as tall as I am.

From tall mushrooms to teeny tiny ones. Here is a mushroom about the size of my hand.


It seemed like everywhere I looked there were more and more mushrooms. Sometimes I just turned in a circle and saw so many different kinds of mushrooms that I didn't know which ones to look at first and sometimes I found different kinds of mushrooms in the same spot. 

Robin spent more time exploring other places than getting up close to the mushrooms. She was happy to walk along and look at them from a distance. Not me. I wanted to get as close to them as I could and see all the differences in them.

One of my big people found a log, I think it was a branch off a tree, that was covered in moss and mushrooms. It was so pretty. I wanted to take it home and keep it.

Look at the pretty orange mushrooms growing in the moss.

And look at this tiny little brown mushroom. It's even tiny for a Hitty doll.

This little mushroom looked almost like a fuzzy plate.


There were mushrooms everywhere. I sat down on a log to take a rest and discovered more mushrooms growing on the side of it.

I'm not real sure if this little round thing is a mushroom or not but it was growing out of the ground, I checked. It was connected. It was soft and puffy too. When I pushed on it the sides gave under my hand. One of my big people said that if I had pushed hard enough it would have let out a puff of air and if I had tossed it in the air it would have let out a puff of air too. I guess they are little puff balls but I don't know if they are mushrooms.

These little mushrooms blend into the leaves so well that I almost walked right past them. They would make perfect sized flowers for little dolls if they were flowers. I can see them in a vase on a Hitty sized table, not that we have a Hitty sized table, but I could see this little mushroom there anyway, if only it were a flower and not a mushroom.

Robin found this thing. We weren't sure what it was, some kind of seed pod we guessed, but it sure was pretty. And there just beside Robin is another mushroom. This one was broken, one side of it had been broken off before we found it, but it kind of looks like a buttercup or evening primrose to me.

This mushroom just looked rotten to me. I don't know if it really was or if it grows this way.

How pretty. Now this is a very nice improvement from the rotten mushroom. So bright and orange. 

And pretty pink ones too.

This was a flat little mushroom with a whole in the middle of it. I sure wish I had a guide book to identify mushrooms. I would never eat any of them, because I wouldn't risk thinking one was safe to eat and it not be, but I would like to know what kind they are.

There were way more mushrooms than this but I think since we found so many that it would be best if I share my mushroom adventures little by little. 

2 comments:

  1. Wow what a huge variety of fungi in your woods!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is only some of what we found! There are many more. I will write about them soon.
    Tillie

    ReplyDelete