Thursday, September 1, 2016

And more mushroom hunting

Look at these lovely mushrooms. Or are they mushrooms? They are some kind of fungus but I don't know if they are really mushrooms. Whatever they are, there sure are a lot of them and they're so pretty. 


There are so many mushrooms in our woods. I could stand in one spot and turn in a complete circle and spot more mushrooms than I knew what to do with. Robin liked this little mushroom. She said the color was lovely and that she wanted to study it a little closer. I think she really just wanted to rest and this was a good place to do it. Especially since we could hear crows setting up a ruckus somewhere close by. We couldn't see them but we had no trouble hearing them. They made my pegs quake, only I don't have pegs. And Robin was downright frightened. She was sure they were going to carry us off any minute. I was pretty sure she was right. We both decided that the only thing that kept those noisy crows away were the big people and all their chatter.
I distracted myself from the crows with this beautiful little mushroom.
We spotted an old moss covered stump and decided it looked like a good place to hide from the crows and maybe get a good view of the woods. I thought it looked like a good place to spot mushrooms. Robin clambered up the stump first then helped me up the last bit of moss.
It did afford a good view of the woods.


This pretty little mushroom was hiding in the old stump, growing out of the moss. Don't the colors look so pretty together?


This mushroom was another one I almost walked right past, not because I didn't see it but because it looked a bit...yucky.
This one was very pretty though.


This one was acting not only as a bowl to collect rain water but as a place for small critters to hide out. Can you spot the little snail?


Robin came back for an up close look at the little snail. She said he was cute.


This...uh...thing...wasn't cute though. Is this a mushroom or some sort of rotten...something?


This one was neat though. It was yellow and looked like it would make a perfect hat.


I couldn't figure out what this one looked like it could double as but it was interesting, almost like it was growing wrong side out.


And this one made a good background for a picture. 


But these were one of my favorites. They looked like little feathers growing out of the side of a limb. I sat down in front of them to get a better look.


So many different kinds of mushrooms. I wish I knew the names of even a few of them.


 This one was unusual. But then they all are.


Robin found this amazing log laying on the ground. I love the bright colored mushrooms, or whatever they are. They are so pretty against the brown log and the green moss.

I'm sure there were more mushrooms just waiting for me to find them but the big people started heading back to the house and I wasn't brave enough to stay in the woods alone, especially with those crows about. I well remember the stories of ancestor Hitty being carried off by crows and having to live in a nest of them. I don't want that to happen to me. Maybe I will go mushroom hunting again once the crows clear out of the woods. The big people say they aren't normally out here.

2 comments:

  1. What an amazing quantity and variety of fungus!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And there's still many more that we didn't photograph. We plan on making another foray into the woods to look for fungus.

      Delete