Tuesday, September 6, 2016

Tillie visits a taxidermy shop


There are many adventures to be had in my new home and so little time to have those adventures. On my recent trip to the taxidermy shop, something I understand I might be doing on a regular basis, I was a bit disconcerted to discover a very large black bear among many, many other animals. It took me a few minutes to get past my reticence and garner the courage to approach some of these beasts. At least they look like beasts when you're a small doll. 

Gathering my courage around me, I approached this bear and had quite a conversation with him. It turns out that he is a bear rug and was in for some repairs. I thought he looked just fine the way he was, if a bit ferocious, but his big people didn't think so, so off to the taxidermy shop they sent him for repairs. I was glad to find him there, once I got over my fright. He was so soft and kindly consented to letting me rest on him. I thought he would make a wonderful place to take a nap but my big people could not be convinced to let me bring him home.


This gobbler didn't look near as scary as the bear did but I must admit that I was not as fond of him as I was of the bear. There was just something endearing about the bear that this gobbler lacked.




This bobcat was kind enough to let me rest with him but I couldn't get him to share his story with me. Really though, I couldn't even get it to let me know if it was a him. I think this cat only tolerated my presence because the big people, and his taxidermist, were present. I had the distinct feeling that he would eat me if he could. I think he favors small wooden dolls for snacks.

I was very relieved to leave him behind but the next critter on the meet and greet list was worse than the unfriendly bobcat.
I'm positive that this thing wanted to eat me. He opened his mouth wide and aimed it at my head. I still don't know what kept him from actually devouring me.


I was very uncomfortable being this close to him. As you can see from this picture, which I still can't understand why my big people took the time to take instead of just rescuing me, this snake came way to close to me for my comfort. Look how my new dress actually touches those scales! I know I must reek of snake stink now.


I suppose that for a snake, this thing has impressive rattles. At least if one is impressed by snakes, which I am most definitely not.

At the first hint of a rattling sound I leapt as far from this monstrous snake as I could get.


And jumped out of the snake pit and into the alligator den.

I am thinking that I don't much care for taxidermy shops. Don't these people stuff nice soft puppies and kittens? Who would want a stuffed...code word for dead...alligator in their house anyway? Certainly not me. If I ever get my own house I DO NOT want any dead animals in it.


Ahh, squirrels. Now these are a bit more understandable to have around. Although...I really don't want these hanging around my house either. Just the bear rug. That can come home with me. I will gladly sleep every night on his back, but I do not want squirrels, alligators, or snakes in my house.

Nope...
Or fish with giant gaping mouths either. How do the big people keep this thing fed?

I was afraid to ask. But more than that, I was afraid to venture to close to that mouth. I have no doubts that a six inch Hitty would fit perfectly inside it. And that thing looked hungry.


Ahh, now this is more like it. This cute deer was friendly and offered me plenty of advice on surviving a taxidermy shop.


And his number one bit of advice was to stick close to him. But alas, it was not to be for my big people soon whisked me away to see the highlight of the shop. My new deer friend shouted warnings to me until I was too far away to hear him.

I almost thought I heard him warn me about....


A 12 1/2 foot alligator in the process of being mounted. And now I'm sure I heard my deer friend warn me of that very thing.

Help!

Someone get me away from this monster.


Who in their right mind wants such a thing hanging around their house? And it will be hanging in their house. This thing is being mounted, in a custom pose, to look as if he is swimming through the water, chasing an otter, which will be added to his display later.

And what was going through my big people's heads to think that I should have my picture taken with this thing? I did NOT want my picture taken on this but once they plopped me up there I wasn't about to jump to the ground, even if my wooden legs would have held me up, something I doubted with the way they were shaking, because the ground was so very far away.

After I finally escaped the clutches of the monster, I heard the big people talking about how this was a very old alligator and how he will still require months of work before he is ready to move into his home.

I wonder if his owners know about Hitty's? Hitty dolls do make such lovely companions and they decorate a home rather nicely too. I've heard that some Hitty's are even happy to spend their days adding interest and color to their big people's homes. Wouldn't that be ever so much better than having a monstrous alligator hanging around their home?

3 comments: