Monday, September 26, 2016

Looking for flowers

With the pioneer Hitty house growing more and more crowded, I decided to set off for a walk in the woods. I had in mind to hunt for more mushrooms but when little Brother, Justin, tagged along, I let him lead the way. As preoccupied as he's been with our new family member, 'another boy' as he calls him, I was surprised to find him dogging my steps. It was nice to have him along though. He is still fairly new to the pioneer Hitty house and there's much I still don't know about this new little brother.
Justin spotted a cozy spot in the foliage and trekked right in. In no time he had settled right in and soon convinced me to join him. It was a nice, cool area to get out of the sun. We enjoyed looking at all the greenery around us. It won't be long before our pretty green woods give way to the browns and grays of winter in the woods.


I've never seen winter in the woods but I've heard about them since I came to the Pioneer Hitty house. I have a hard time imagining these beautiful plants giving up all these green leaves.

Justin is excited about the coming change of seasons. He's pretty sure it will be neat to watch the trees lose all their leaves. For now, though, we are both very happy to enjoy the greenery.




Even with all the greenery still lingering, it's not hard to see what our woods might be like without the leaves. This area was mostly brown and gray except for the tiny pine trees that were trying to grow.


It's even harder to imagine these Hitty sized trees growing into giant, towering trees, that will dwarf anything around them. I hear they grow to around 100 feet tall, some of them taller than that.


With a little searching I was able to find a wonderful walking stick. The ground here is uneven and all covered in bark and other loose things just waiting to trip us as we walk by. Justin had no interest in a walking stick though.


He was more interested in the little trees and measuring himself against them.


This pretty little yellow flower was growing all alone. I'm not looking forward to the flowers disappearing but I hear that winter has its own beauty and so I'm hoping that is true. I'm sure I've experienced winter before but my amnesia seems to be permanent and so I have the chance to experience life afresh, as if I was a tiny child just discovering the world. I must admit that has its advantages and disadvantages.


These little purple berries grow on bushes all over our woods. I sure wish I knew what kind they were. I've heard that most purple/black berries are edible but I'm kind of afraid to put that to the test. What if they're poisonous?


They sure are pretty though and they look like they should be tasty. Perfect Hitty sized berries or grapes.


Justin was going to try them, I had to pry one out of his little fingers and toss it into the woods to keep him from tasting it. He was sure it wouldn't hurt him and was willing to test the theory.


I found a whole batch of those lovely little yellow flowers. Aren't they pretty?


I barely had time to smell the little yellow flowers. Justin was shouting my name and insisting I 'come see' what he found. And my, oh my, what beautiful flowers he found. These are much prettier than the little yellow ones. So delicate and pretty. I would love to have a bunch of these to brighten up the house with.

They are the perfect Hitty size and fit my hand so nicely.



Justin was so sweet. He picked a perfect flower and offered it to me just because he knew I liked it. Thank you, Justin.


There were certainly enough flowers to fill a vase with, although I refrained from doing so. They were just too pretty as a field of flowers.



Justin tried to get me to explore more but I just couldn't leave the lovely flowers. I think this might be my favorite place in our woods.


How could I leave this behind to go explore elsewhere. I chose to wait here while Justin went exploring.

No comments:

Post a Comment