Sunday, August 21, 2016

Introducing Hitty Tillie

My name is Hitty Tillie. I'm what they call a Raikes Hitty because a man named Robert Raikes made me, or his company did. I really don't remember that part of my life, things are a bit fuzzy for me during those early days. I wish I could remember all of the adventures that I have had but my memory is fuzzy for most of my existence. I remember being in a dark place and hearing rain pouring around me and thunder crashing. I was terrified, somehow knowing that I was in the middle of a big storm even though I could see nothing. I was later told that I was resting in the mailbox while the storm raged around me. I don't remember getting much rest with all that horrible noise going on around me, what I recall is huddling inside a paper blanket and hoping the noise would end. Eventually I was rescued from the mailbox, once the storm had finally passed, and my box was carried to my new home, where I was unwrapped from my paper towel blanket and that is where my memory begins. In the dark with a storm raging around me.

I'm told that I have lived in at least two homes before the home I now have but I do not remember them. The big people that live in my new home tell me that a nice lady from the Hitty girls yahoo group sent me to my new home, but I don't remember that either. I am also told that the nice lady that sent me to my new home became my owner when I was given to her, but that is another thing I do not remember.

I sure wish my memory worked like I think it should. I would like to remember the big people that I lived with before and the adventures I have had. I assume that I must have conked my head while in route to my new home and lost my memory, but I can't remember that either.

And so, on July 30, 2016 I arrived at my new home and here I start a new life. I have a new home, where I live in the woods. I wanted to call myself the wilderness Hitty, because this sure seems like the wilderness to me, but this blog site wouldn't let me use that name, it told me it wasn't allowed, so I became the pioneer Hitty because living in these woods sure reminds me of the pioneers of days gone by. I do remember that there were pioneers.
The very day after I arrived at my new home we took a trip to visit family so I saw very little of this new home until a week after I arrived but when I finally got back to my new home, and out of the car...whew, my head was spinning from all the travel, first in the postal system and then by car. I took advantage of being back on firm land to explore my new home. I discovered that there are woods everywhere. My new home is in the middle of the woods, woods that are filled with very large trees and critters that I have heard but so far, thankfully, have not seen. A cute mouse might be okay, unless it chews on me. Being a doll, I can't very well get up and run from it or shoo it away. I sure don't want to encounter one of those raccoon things I've heard the big people talk about. They sound scary.

I nervously ventured out to explore just a bit of these woods that I now call home. Okay, I really didn't make it past the yard around the house, all those trees and such look scary to a six inch doll. I found a trail that leads up into the woods. That trail comes right down into my yard. Couldn't they have at least let the trail end somewhere further from the house? What if those raccoon things walk down that trail and find me? Dolls might be tasty treats to a raccoon thing.
While exploring my new home, I discovered that the trees are really tall. This one looked to me like it was about a million miles tall.
 I wanted a closer look so, after looking around to make sure there were no raccoon things anywhere around,  I wiggled my way through the bushes around the tree and lay down where I could look up at it. Whew. That tree was so tall it made me dizzy just looking at it. It was a very long way to the top. In fact I couldn't even see the top, all I saw was tree trunk that went on forever and a few branches so far up that they looked like small sticks. I kind of wondered if there was a top.
I thought to find out for myself if there was a top to that tree so I climbed a nearby bush...or was it a tree too...but got nowhere near the top. The big people in the house say I was only about four feet off the ground but I don't think they understand just how high four feet is to a small doll.

I gave up on finding the top of that million mile tree and wiggled my way back to the ground. Still not seeing any raccoon thing I got to thinking these woods might not be so bad after all. They might even be fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment