Thursday, April 12, 2018

Isabella's accident


With more than a small amount of reluctance I accompanied Hook to the construction site to see what has been done on the house he is helping to build for the neighbors. With great care not to tear or soil my dress, it was borrowed without permission from my big person's sewing basket, I climbed over the construction materials and stopped by the house, looking around at all that had been done since my last visit.

I couldn't believe the changes in the place in only a few days. The boys and Hitty Husband have really been busy. It's still too small for us Hittys. Unfortunately. I would really like to live in this house and it isn't even finished yet. I think with some work it could be enlarged to fit us. All it would take is the removal of some floors/ceilings and it would work perfectly. 

Hook agrees with me but doesn't think the neighbors will go for it.


"You boys could build us a house like this when you finish." It would give them something to do other than make trouble.

"We could but I doubt we will." Hook lead the way into a small opening on the bottom floor of the house. "This thing is more work than it's worth."


"It's really neat though." I crawled through a tunnel, wondering at this marvelous place they had built. "I love the tunnels in it."

"So do the neighbors. They insisted on hidey-holes as they call them." Hook poked his head through an opening, "you wouldn't believe how much work is involved in putting these caves and tunnels into this house."


"It's worth all the work." I crawled into a tiny cave-like room. It was a tight fit but was cozy once I got myself situated.


"Just look at this." 

"Yeah. Do you know how many hours it took me laying on my back to get that little room made?" Hook didn't sound any too happy. "Come see the best part."

"This must be the best part. I love it." I could happily spend a whole day curled up in this little cubby of a room with a book and something warm to drink.

"Come on." Hook grabbed my hand and tugged until I crawled out of the little room. "That," he waved his arm toward a ramp at the side of the building, "is the best part. A walkway that doubles as a slide. Go on up."


"It's awful steep." I started up the incline. My boots slipped on the slick, unfinished floor, and I had to hold onto the side to make my way up. "How far does this thing go?" I huffed with each hard one step.


"All the way to the top."


"We're already a long way up." I wasn't too sure I much cared for this part of the house. It was neat if you weren't having to climb your way to the top.

"Look over the side. The view is great." Hook didn't sound the least bit winded.

The view was great but it was a long way down. I couldn't help thinking of Bitsy on this ramp. The thing needed higher walls so no one could fall and get hurt. "Shouldn't you put guard rails or something on these walls?"

"Nah. The neighbors aren't as tall as we are so these walls are almost to their heads in most places. They should be safe so long as they don't climb on them." Hook didn't even stop to take in the view, he kept climbing. "We're almost to the top."


He had to lean over, the incline was so steep.

"Are you going to put in stairs?" Steps would sure make this climb easier.

"Nope. The neighbors want it to do double duty as a slide." Hook sounded like he thought that was a better idea than I did.

A slide this steep could be dangerous. And I'd take easier climbing over easier getting down any day. We kept going up...







And up...


And up. 

Finally, we reached the top. 

"Isn't this great?" Hook dropped to the floor. "It's the perfect spot for watching clouds float by and looking at the stars."

"If you survive the climb, I suppose it's a neat spot." Although I much preferred the little cubby rooms.


"You haven't seen the best part yet." Hook hopped to his feet and went back to the ramp. "Watch this." With a whoop that could be heard for miles, he dropped to his backside and pushed off.


He slid all the way to the curve. 

"Your turn." He looked up at me, his face clearly showing that he expected me to do what he just did.

"I, uh...I think I'll just walk back down." I had no interest in breaking my neck on this roller coaster ramp.

"Bawk...bawk... Come on, Isabella, don't be a chicken." He flapped his arms and nodded his head, acting for all the world like the bird he had just accused me of being.

"Fine." It was just a slide after all. It was probably safer to sit and slide down than to slip and skid my way down on my feet.


I sat and pushed off the sides. I started out slow but picked up speed quickly. Wind blew through my hair and ruffled my dress.


"Slow down!" Hook flapped his arms and yelled.

I tried to slow my descent but couldn't get a grip on the sides. This wasn't fun anymore. My heart beat a loud drum in my ears. My pegs trembled. Wind whooshed by.

"Slow down. Slow down."



Bump. I tumbled forward.


Slammed into Hook.


And tumbled head first over the side.

"I've got you." 

I could barely make out Hook's voice for the rushing in my head. 

"Help!" 





"Hang on, Isabella."



"There's nothing to hang onto to. Get me down." I searched for a handhold but found only air. 

"I'm losing my grip." Hook's hands clawed at my ankle.

"Don't let me fall!" 

"I can't-"

Air whooshed around me. The ground came up to meet me.




Thud.

I landed with a peg jarring jolt that shook me to my very core. Lightening shot up my leg and set my body afire.

"Ahh." Were those screams coming from me? 

I tried to look around but all I could see was a blur. Fire burned up my leg and into my body. My pegs screamed in protest.



"I'm coming."


I could just make out Hook through the pain fogged haze holding me captive.


"It's okay, Isabella."  

"I'm coming."

I wanted to tell him to hurry but all I managed to get out were whimpers.





"Are you okay?" Hook peered over at me.

I tried to answer him but the fire in my leg had made its way through my body and was now licking at my head. 


"I've got you." 

Somehow Hook lifted me from the ground and carried me with what must have been extreme care but caused the fire to become and angry beast gobbling me up whole. "Ahhh."


"Almost there." Hook's voice came from a long way away even though he was holding me.



"Here you go." He laid me on the floor of the house. "You wait here. I've got to go for help."

"D-" Don't leave me! 

I tried to get the words out but couldn't push them past the haze in my head. Don't leave me. Don't leave me. 

He left me. 

Through a blur I watched him leave me alone with the inferno burning it's way through my body.


No comments:

Post a Comment